The Anesthesia Restrainer retrieves cats in traps to be anesthetized, restrains the cats for injection and transfers the cats still in the traps to the induction area for observation after they have been anesthetized. This position requires a rabies vaccination.
- Anyone handling traps with conscious cats must wear leather gloves.
- Cats should be anesthetized in order of earliest discharge time. Be sure to finish one discharge time group before starting the next.
- Check each cat for a tipped ear or URI before the cat receives any anesthesia.
Anesthesia Restrainer Instructions
Cats that should be treated at the end of day include those with green “Food” tags followed by orange “URI” tags. This policy allows the cats with food in the trap more time to digest the food and keeps the URI cats isolated from the general population.
Retrieve cats in traps to be anesthetized. Use Gender ID tags to select known females and known males. Pink (female) and blue (male) tags are clipped to the trap handles. Traps with no pink or blue tags are unknown gender.
Prepare one female cat for anesthesia for each spay surgeon – when the clinic begins. Thereafter, anesthetize all cats as they arrive, alternating males and females when possible. Request assistance from the Clinic Supervisor if an insufficient number of female cats are marked prior to the start of the clinic
Monitor the number of male and female cats who are fully anesthetized at any one time maintaining close contact with the clinic supervisor to ensure the stations can accommodate the cats without delay.
Remove the trap cover; fold and place on top of the trap so the cover stays with the trap.
Check the cat for a tipped ear or URI before the cat receives the TKX injection:
- If an ear is tipped, do not anesthetize the cat. Instead, cover the trap, affix a tan “Already Neutered” tag to the handle, and send the cat and its Medical Record to the Veterinary Examination Station.
- If the cat has signs of URI, do not anesthetize the cat. Instead, cover the trap, affix an orange “URI” tag to the handle, and place the cat in the isolation area to have surgery last.
Gently tip the trap on its end and restrain the cat with a trap divider inserted through the trap. With the trap positioned vertically on the table, slide the trap divider through the mesh of the trap, angling the trap divider to corner the cat as tightly as possible, allowing the Anesthetist to access a suitable injection site.
If other tags are affixed to the trap (orange “URI,” green “Food,” red “Medical Alert”), retrieve these and hand them to the Anesthesia Recorder to put in the sleeve with the Medical Record. Remove the Gender ID tags from the trap and place them in the holding bin under the anesthesia table to be returned to Admissions at the end of the clinic.
Transfer the trap to the induction area where the Anesthesia Monitor will closely observe the cat until the cat is fully asleep and can be safely handled. Place the Medical Record in its plastic sleeve on top of the trap. If the cat is not anesthetized within 15 minutes, advise the Anesthetist. An additional half-dose may be given without seeking approval from the Clinic Supervisor.
All Station Images
Station Closing and Cleanup
When the clinic is concluded all station volunteer are expected to assist in the following:
- Inventory the remaining supplies and repack the supply kits. Replacement supplies are found in our Storage Room.
- Replace the repacked kit, including instructions, on the rolling cart in the proper position.
- Return Gender ID tags to the bins and return the bins to Admissions.
- Wipe and dry all plastic sleeves inside and out with disinfectant to clean.
- Clean all tables and the induction area rack, ensuring all tape is removed, including the undersides of the tables.
- Clear area of all trash and remove the trash in the large plastic bags to the anatomy lab hall for disposal.
- Complete the TKX drug log and return ALL drug vials, including empty vials, to the Clinic Supervisor. A completed drug log means it is signed by the Anesthetist and all blank areas are crossed off.