The Clinic Records Transporter transfers the cats from the Clinic Records Station to the Recovery Station waiting area. This position requires a rabies vaccination.
- Monitor the cat for complications resulting from the anesthesia, in particular, irregular breathing or not breathing.
- Respiration should be >6/minute, heartbeat should be >100/minute, and gum color should be pink. If the cat is not breathing well, or its gums are blue, take the cat immediately to the Emergency CPR Station. Speaking loudly and calmly say “cat not breathing” to alert vets to converge at the Emergency CPR Station. Note: Xylazine causes pale gums.
- When transporting, do not hold the cat from the scruff of its neck alone. Always support its back and bottom too. Support the cat’s head without flexing its neck, so that the airway remains straight and open.
- Keep the cat entirely on its fleece, including its tail, head and all of its feet. Do not allow any part of the cat’s body to contact clothing, skin or anything except the fleece, in order to prevent any contamination from cat to cat.
Clinic Records Transporter Instructions
Compare the Paw Tag, Medical Record, and Rabies Certificate to be sure the ID# matches. Remove the paw tag but keep it with the cat as you transport it from Clinic Records to the Recovery area.
Transfer the cat from Clinic Records Station to the Recovery Station waiting area:
- Ask the Recovery Transporter to find the trap with the Cat ID number on the Trap Tag that matches the one on the cat’s Paw Tag.
- Verify that the Paw Tag and Trap Tag match when the trap is delivered.
Take the cat from the fleece and place the cat on its right side in the trap with the tipped ear facing up, so that it can be monitored.
Notify the Recovery staff if a cat needs to be monitored for any conditions noted during surgery or post-op procedures, or if a cat needs to be placed under a heating lamp.
Return the fleece to the fleece laundry bags.
All Station Images
Station Closing and Cleanup
When the clinic is concluded:
- Inventory the remaining supplies and repack the supply kit.
- Return the kit, station instructions and any remaining items to storage.
- Clean the area and dispose of all trash.
- Wash all tables, including the central trough, and wipe down the entire base of the table.
- Remove the tape from the underside of the table.