The Instruments Cleaner cleans and sterilizes all surgical instruments, masks, and launders the surgical towels. No rabies vaccination is required for this position.
Instruments Cleaner Instructions
Clean and sterilize the surgical instruments:
- Scrub used instruments in liquid soap and hot water, paying special attention to the teeth and joints where blood collects.
- Soak the clean instruments in instrument milk for 5 minutes. Instrument milk is prepared by combining 21 oz (631 ml) of concentrated instrument milk to 1 gallon of water.
- Drain instruments in trays. Do not rinse or towel dry.
- Sort the instruments in the trays by type and tape color.
Wash, dry and fold surgical linens:
- Flatten half the towels for wrapping ear-tip, spay and neuter packs.
- Fold the rest in 4 lengthwise folds and then in thirds for spay packs.
Place bins of re-wrapped items in the autoclave. Set the machine and record the start time in the logbook. Wait until items have cooled before storing.
All Station Images
Station Closing and Cleanup
When the clinic is concluded:
- Inventory the remaining supplies and repack the supply kit.
- Return the kit, station instructions and any remaining items to storage.
- Clean the area and dispose of all trash.
- Wash all tables, including the central trough, and wipe down the entire base of the table.
- Remove the tape from the underside of the tables.
- Wipe as much of the overhead surgery lamp as can be reached.