The Medications Recorder records the buprenorphine (pain medication) in the Buprenorphine Log, and records the pain medication, reversal medication, parasiticide and any other medications as well as fluids administered on the Medical Record. No rabies vaccination is required for this position.
- Visually monitor the cats closely. If the cat is moving, blinking or licking, then it is recovering normally. If the cat is fully sedated, watch the chest for movement. Breathing can be very shallow and difficult to see. A normal respiratory rate is 6 or more breaths per minute. If breathing is less frequent or isn’t visible at all, alert the Medications Technician to do a hands-on assessment immediately.
Medications Recorder Instructions
Complete the Buprenorphine Log:
- Record the dose and vial# of buprenorphine given.
- Adult cats receive 0.1 ml of buprenorphine on the gums and kittens receive 0.05 ml.
- Enter the time and initials.
- Sign the logs at the end of the shift.
Complete the Medical Record:
- Record the dose and time of each dose of buprenorphine in the Analgesia section, and initial each entry. Use a leading zero in all dosages; for example, “0.1”, and not “ .1”.
- Record the dose and time of each application of topical parasite control (e.g., Advantage Multi® or Revolution®) in the Parasiticide section and initial each entry.
- Record the amount of lactated ringers or other fluids given as instructed by the DVM in the Fluids section and initial each entry.
- Record the dose and time of each injection of yohimbine in the Reversal section and initial each entry.
Station Closing and Cleanup
When the clinic is concluded:
- Inventory the remaining supplies and repack the supply kit.
- Return the kit, station instructions and any remaining items to storage.
- Clean the area and dispose of all trash.
- Wash all tables, including the central trough, and wipe down entire base of table.
- Remove tape from the underside of the table.
- Wipe as much of the overhead surgery lamp as can be reached.
- Sweep or vacuum and mop the floor.