The Vaccinations Recorder records the vaccine administration and rabies vaccine serial number on the Medical Record and completes the Rabies Certificate. The Rabies Certificate will be stamped with a signature of the Supervising Veterinarian. No rabies vaccination is required for this position.
- Visually monitor the cats closely. If the cat is moving, blinking or licking, then it is recovering normally. If the cat is fully sedated, watch the chest for movement. Breathing can be very shallow and difficult to see. A normal respiratory rate is 6 or more breaths per minute. If breathing is less frequent or isn’t visible at all, alert the Vaccinations Technician to do a hands-on assessment immediately.
- Assure that there is no blood left on the cat from surgery. If blood is present, return the cat to the surgical station to be cleaned.
Vaccinations Recorder Instructions
Assure that the Surgical Record on the Medical Record page is complete before accepting the cat from the Surgery Transporter. If incomplete, ask that the cat be returned to the surgical station for Medical Record completion.
If blood is present, return the cat to the surgical station to be cleaned.
Complete the vaccines sections of the Medical Record. Write in the time administered and initial after administration is done.
Complete the Rabies Certificate by transcribing information from the Veterinary Examination Form:
- Find the Rabies Certificate that matches the Medical Record and Paw Tag.
- Stamp the rabies vaccine serial number and the veterinarian’s signature on the appropriate lines of both copies of the certificate.
- Check the box for rabies expiration, either 1 year if ear tipped today or 3 year, if previously ear tipped and receiving booster vaccines.
- Check the box for FeLV-FVRCP dose, either initial dose, if ear tipped today or booster, if previously ear tipped.
- Place the Rabies Certificate in the plastic sleeve with the Medical Record.
Station Closing and Cleanup
When the clinic is concluded:
- Inventory the remaining supplies and repack the supply kit.
- Return the kit, station instructions and any remaining items to storage.
- Clean the area and dispose of all trash.
- Wash all tables, including the central trough, and wipe down entire base of table.
- Remove tape from the underside of the table.
- Wipe as much of the overhead surgery lamp as can be reached.
- Sweep or vacuum and mop the floor.